Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Citadel of Salah Al-Din and Al-Azhar Park


Due to the unfortunate air conditions, virtually all flights to and from Europe have been cancelled. My friend had some norwegian friends visiting who study in the UK. They are still trapped here in Cairo. Last weekend (before they knew their flight was cancelled indefinitely) they decided to do some last minute sight-seeing and I chose to tag along. My friend has had plenty of visitors and she seems to insist they go to the Citadel and Al-Azhar Park, two places I hadn't been before. I made her take me with her.

The Citadel of Salah Al-Din is this super old fortress on top of a hill that overlooks most of Cairo. It was $5 for students to get in and we went on a friday (very busy day). Within its walls are various museums and the Mohammed Ali Mosque (also called the Alabaster Mosque). There were kids everywhere and it was pretty hot outside. The Mosque was beautiful and intricate. We had to wait around for about an hour before we could go in because we got there right when the prayers were starting. And once we did go in, after taking our shoes off, the undeniable smell of feet stung our noses! Honestly, I think it was my first time visiting a Mosque!! Beautiful.


After that we went to Al-Azhar Park in Cairo. It also costs money to go there even though there's not much to look at. It reminded me a bit of campus, fountains all over the place and plants perpetually watered to look like they're supposed to be growing there. We went to the top of this hill with a fantastic view of the whole city, countless mosques and we could even see the Mohammed Ali Mosque. It was really nice. There were a bunch of families having picnics on the grass and kids playing all over. From one side of the park you could even see this ancient(ish) wall that they discovered somewhere in the 1990s that they assume was to protect people from the crusaders!


Later we went on a short felucca ride around the Nile. This was my second time on a felucca, the last time was Easter Sunday. It was peaceful and really made me feel like I was in Cairo. I'm sure there are other cities in the US where you can do this sort of thing but it's probably cheapest in Cairo. Haha.

We ended the day with shopping again at the Bazaar and Sahlab (most likely my favorite hot drink here!) at a cafe. Delicious day!!



sahlab: hot and thick milky drink topped with raisins, peanuts, and coconut

No comments:

Post a Comment