Friday, January 29, 2010

trip to the Pyramids

Sorry about the huge sunglasses, but it's the style!! My head is also covering up a pyramid in this photo, my bad.

We drove to this panoramic viewing area. There were so many tourists here. We were the biggest group of them! Then we drove to the great pyramid. The majority of us paid 15 EGP to go inside the pyramid. It was hot and stinky but 100% amazing! How neat is it to be in such an old structure. The architecture is just outstanding. I love it! I don't care if Egyptians don't find it a big deal, it is right in the city. But I find it a big deal. Thanks to that book I read over winter break ;) and art history is one of the major reasons I've always dreamed of coming here! I'm so lucky! Outside of the pyramid people are selling things. All kinds of things. They are also ripping you off. So it's scary. I went the safe route and left my wallet on the bus. How could I buy something from a snotty-faced kid without my wallet? All I had was my camera and I wasn't going to be giving that up at any point.

Right now I'd like to apologize. To all the people who requested I ride a camel, or at least get on one. I refuse. I'd eat meat before I'd ride a camel. Those animals, living and breathing beings, and treated like crap!! They exist only for the tourists. People make a living asking tourists to climb on their camel. But no one makes sure it's okay with the camel!! Next time I go I'm bringing those camels some food. Healthy food. I'm not sure where I'll find camel food but honestly, these animals are tourist attractions. They dress them up. Camels are kicked, pulled, and poked. They are so high up that the person with the camel has to convince (force) the camel to sit down/lay so the tourist can climb on. Then poked until the camel stands back up then pulled and forced to walk around. These animals are not happy. They aren't even pleasant. They pee and poo wherever they want but that's about the only freedom they have! Yucky. I won't do it, sorry.

After we hung around the pyramids we went to the Sphinx. That was pretty cool. I found the pyramids more amazing than the Sphinx which makes sense because the pyramids are much larger. And the perfection of them, ugh! I just love them. Afterwards we went to lunch (3pm) at this little place in Sakkara (spelling?) which was just dandy! I didn't have to pay extra for water, I almost did. The downside to the restaurant was the animals. They had a camel, pony, and some puppy chows (which is funny because puppy chow is a snack many of my friends enjoy!) but it was disgusting anyway. Drooly, sweaty, stinky animals is not fun! But it's all part of the experience. I love you guys! I'll be heading to Alexandria next friday and saturday. That's the next adventure! Besides classes starting...


<--the girl didn't tell me when to open my eyes... oh well!


for my papa:

Sunday/Wednesday: Global Literature, Social Movements, and History of Arab something something.
Monday/Thursday: Educational Psychology, Cultural Anthropology

No comments:

Post a Comment